Your trademark is a word, symbol or phrase that encourages your California brand’s recognition. An effective mark quickly identifies products and services as your property and provides a focal point for marketing and advertising. The attorneys at Wang IP Law Group, P.C. specialize in intellectual property law and customize strategies based on each client’s needs.
TrademarkNow notes that protecting a trademark in court is time-consuming and expensive. However, there are preventive steps you can take that reduce the opportunities for disputes to get that far.
- Complete a thorough search and ensure there are no competing tradenames or trademarks similar to yours already active. Making changes to it now is less expensive than defending it later.
- Once you are confident there will be no confusion, register anything related to your trademark. Examples include the business name, logo, slogans and product name. By officially registering everything that references the trademark at the same time, it prevents other parties from taking them for themselves.
- If you have ideas for future products, register those as well. This protects them for later use, even if are only ideas right now.
- Register social profiles that match your business name. It is easier to promote your company on these platforms when the accounts match your organization. From Twitter and Snapchat to Facebook and Instagram, this can be the difference between potential customers finding you or finding a competitor.
- Maintain the registration and update the documentation as required. If you fail to do so, your mark could be lost or canceled.
Although taking these steps doesn’t guarantee infringement issues do not arise, it can minimize the occurrences and make your trademark easier to defend. Visit our webpage for more information.