Enriching Life Through Innovative Ideas SM



Traumatic events such as death or divorce can cause a strained relationship between a grandparent and a grandchild. Sometimes, parents challenge visitation laws, claiming that grandparent visitation laws infringe on their constitutional right to raise their children. If one or both parents deny you access to your grandchildren, it is important to know how to restore your visitation rights. 

Restrictions on Visitation

State laws vary regarding the restrictions of grandparent visitation rights. Restrictive states only allow grandparents to seek visitation of the child if the parents are divorced, or if one parent has passed away. In these states, grandparents have no visitation rights if the family is intact or when a parent remarries and the new spouse adopts the child. Other states have more liberal grandparent visitation rights that allow grandparents to petition for visitation even if both parents are alive and married.

In order to prevent complications, communication between the grandparent and the parents should be open at all times. Family counseling is a viable option to sort out any disputes between family members. In some cases, parents realize later on that it might be best for the grandparent to have a part in their child’s life. Mediation is one of the best options for both parties to come to an agreement in the best interest of everyone.

Petitioning the Court

It is best for your family to keep the dispute out of court, but a court battle may be unavoidable. In California, grandparents can ask the court for reasonable visitation rights. Building a strong and healthy relationship with your grandchild is important. When making a decision, the courts will take the relationship that the grandparent has with the grandchild into consideration. If the parents try to cut all lines of communication, document your attempts to reach your grandchild. These records may be helpful when meeting with an attorney.

A grandparent who wants rights to visit their grandchildren can file a petition in court. Courts will make a decision on the petition based on what is best for the child. If there is already a family law case between the parents of the children, the grandparent may ask for visitation rights in the existing case. However, if there isn’t an existing case, filing a petition from scratch may be an extensive process.

Establishing Visitation Rights

Generally, under California law, grandparents cannot file for visitation while the parents are alive and married. However, if the parents are living separately, or if one of the parents joins the grandparent’s petition for visitation, exceptions can be made to that rule. If the child is not living with the parent, or if the grandchild has been adopted by a step parent, the grandparent can file for visitation as well. However, if a petition was filed under one of the conditions previously mentioned, but the issues are later resolved, parents may ask the court to end the grandparent’s vitiation rights.

In order to establish visitation rights, the grandparent must submit proof that there was a good relationship between the grandparent and child. Some states require proof that denying visitation rights would cause “real and significant harm” to the grandchild. If you are a grandparent that is raising your grandchildren because their parents are unable to or are absent, it is possible to file for custody of the children. This is called establishing guardianship which is a separate court process.

Grandparents rarely have legal right to visitation of a grandchild even if they have a close relationship. If the relationship between the grandparents and child has “engendered a bond”, meaning that visitation is in the best interest of the grandchild, the grandparent may have a good chance of obtaining visitation rights.

FindLaw Network

What Our Clients Say

Starting a new business can be a bit scary. Aside from worries of failure, there’s also the hassle of making sure all legal paperwork are properly filed. I reached out to Mr. Wang (Tommy) because of his excellent reviews and reputation and I am so glad I did. He was thorough and meticulous in answering all of my concerns and took time to find out special laws and policies regarding the kind of business I am starting. I could focus on the daily practical side of starting my new office without worry because I felt Tommy was reliable and took my case seriously. My business is opened and it’s all been a smooth start because of Tommy’s help. I have plans to start another business venture in the next few years and I already know I’ll be coming back to Wang IP Law.

The Shindig W.

I came to Tommy for help reviewing a licensing agreement I had secured with a well-known manufacturer. Tommy made sure I understood all the details in the contract and he negotiated with the company to improve my side of the deal. I mentioned to Tommy at my first consultation that we were looking to expand throughout the US and were investing a lot of money to make a big entrance into the market. I did not think I would have my store open so soon but Tommy also has connections with the local area and realtors to help me secure the location for my first store in the Los Angeles area. Tommy works a lot with the local businesses and he understands how to transition from the Asian market to US market. Within 8 months my store was open for business and fully operating. I must recommend Tommy to any business owners looking for help with contracts and improving their side of the deal. Tommy has the knowledge and experience to make sure there is a smooth process to open for business here, and make sure that your company is set up for success.


I think Tommy and his team by far considered the best people to work with in my 16 business years. Beside quick responses to all my inquiries, they also done things right and providing very professional solutions. I’m highly recommending Tommy and his firm to all business owners.

Calvin C.

I have been working on my Utility Patent for almost 4 years. I have hired and fired two very reputable IP firms because with all their expertise and reputation for being some of the top firms in IP Law, I felt a lack of connection and care in my product, time and financial investment. Then I found Tommy and his team. Tommy does not waste time. He and his team are professional and extremely thorough. After 4 years, I finally found a legal team that I felt spent the time to really understand the components of my utility patent. Tommy also very mindful of cost and how and where my money would be better spent. I really feel I am in great hands with Tommy and his team. They have been patient with my revisions. And most importantly, they made me feel that they fully understood the importance this patent is to me. It has been a great and comforting pleasure working with Tommy.


Read All