Enriching Life Through Innovative Ideas SM


As an heir or recipient listed in a loved ones’ will, the process of being granted the assets directed to you is not always smooth – especially if your name is “whited out” by someone other than the owner of the will, such as a their spouse or your stepparent. The proper procedure to contest this action would be to petition the court with jurisdiction over the estate to contest the validity of the will.


A will with actual “white out” on it might be difficult to hold up in court, but if nobody has stepped forward with any issues regarding the “whiting out” of a certain heir, an opportunity to contest the action can be limited depending on how much time has passed. If the will appears to be invalid based on informal “corrections” made to the will, the court may throw it out and instead use “intestate succession” laws to distribute the funds and assets of the deceased individual, which is the process undertaken when no will exists at all.

In most cases, without a will, the court would award all funds and assets to the spouse of the deceased, but it is up to you to contest the will and demonstrate that the “true wishes” of the will’s owner was to leave the property to you. If you do not take action, the estate will be formally probated, which takes approximately a year or two and you will be unable to contest the process unless you can prove fraud. Proving fraud may be possible if whoever amended the will did so with actual white out, but the best way to ensure that a will is executed properly is for the owner to periodically update it in order to prevent confusion regarding any changes made that may prompt a challenge to its validity upon death. 

FindLaw Network

What Our Clients Say

Starting a new business can be a bit scary. Aside from worries of failure, there’s also the hassle of making sure all legal paperwork are properly filed. I reached out to Mr. Wang (Tommy) because of his excellent reviews and reputation and I am so glad I did. He was thorough and meticulous in answering all of my concerns and took time to find out special laws and policies regarding the kind of business I am starting. I could focus on the daily practical side of starting my new office without worry because I felt Tommy was reliable and took my case seriously. My business is opened and it’s all been a smooth start because of Tommy’s help. I have plans to start another business venture in the next few years and I already know I’ll be coming back to Wang IP Law.

The Shindig W.

I came to Tommy for help reviewing a licensing agreement I had secured with a well-known manufacturer. Tommy made sure I understood all the details in the contract and he negotiated with the company to improve my side of the deal. I mentioned to Tommy at my first consultation that we were looking to expand throughout the US and were investing a lot of money to make a big entrance into the market. I did not think I would have my store open so soon but Tommy also has connections with the local area and realtors to help me secure the location for my first store in the Los Angeles area. Tommy works a lot with the local businesses and he understands how to transition from the Asian market to US market. Within 8 months my store was open for business and fully operating. I must recommend Tommy to any business owners looking for help with contracts and improving their side of the deal. Tommy has the knowledge and experience to make sure there is a smooth process to open for business here, and make sure that your company is set up for success.


I think Tommy and his team by far considered the best people to work with in my 16 business years. Beside quick responses to all my inquiries, they also done things right and providing very professional solutions. I’m highly recommending Tommy and his firm to all business owners.

Calvin C.

I have been working on my Utility Patent for almost 4 years. I have hired and fired two very reputable IP firms because with all their expertise and reputation for being some of the top firms in IP Law, I felt a lack of connection and care in my product, time and financial investment. Then I found Tommy and his team. Tommy does not waste time. He and his team are professional and extremely thorough. After 4 years, I finally found a legal team that I felt spent the time to really understand the components of my utility patent. Tommy also very mindful of cost and how and where my money would be better spent. I really feel I am in great hands with Tommy and his team. They have been patient with my revisions. And most importantly, they made me feel that they fully understood the importance this patent is to me. It has been a great and comforting pleasure working with Tommy.


Read All