Wang IP Law Group, P.C.
Local 626-269-6753
Toll Free 888-827-8880


As an heir or recipient listed in a loved ones' will, the process of being granted the assets directed to you is not always smooth - especially if your name is "whited out" by someone other than the owner of the will, such as a their spouse or your stepparent. The proper procedure to contest this action would be to petition the court with jurisdiction over the estate to contest the validity of the will.

A will with actual "white out" on it might be difficult to hold up in court, but if nobody has stepped forward with any issues regarding the "whiting out" of a certain heir, an opportunity to contest the action can be limited depending on how much time has passed. If the will appears to be invalid based on informal "corrections" made to the will, the court may throw it out and instead use "intestate succession" laws to distribute the funds and assets of the deceased individual, which is the process undertaken when no will exists at all.will-300x200.jpg

In most cases, without a will, the court would award all funds and assets to the spouse of the deceased, but it is up to you to contest the will and demonstrate that the "true wishes" of the will's owner was to leave the property to you. If you do not take action, the estate will be formally probated, which takes approximately a year or two and you will be unable to contest the process unless you can prove fraud. Proving fraud may be possible if whoever amended the will did so with actual white out, but the best way to ensure that a will is executed properly is for the owner to periodically update it in order to prevent confusion regarding any changes made that may prompt a challenge to its validity upon death. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Us To Get Started

Contact Us To Get Started

Contact our office to schedule a free, initial consultation by dialing 888-827-8880 or by completing our brief, online questionnaire. Based in Los Angeles, our firm represents clients throughout California and in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and Israel.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Locations

18645 East Gale Ave.
Suite 205
Industry, CA 91748

Phone: 626-269-6753
Map & Directions

Los Angeles
355 S. Grand Ave.
Suite 2450
Los Angeles, CA 90071

Toll Free: 888-827-8880
Phone: 626-269-6753
Map & Directions

18662 MacArthur Blvd.
Suite 158
Irvine, CA 92612

Phone: 626-269-6753
Map & Directions

Taiwan - Taipei
37F Taipei 101 Tower, No.7, Sec. 5 Xinyi Road
Taipei, Taiwan 11049

Map & Directions

QR Code